If you own a smartphone, chances are you probably use it as your primary camera. It’s a luxury that you can easily get used to. But alas, you get carried away with this convenience, and before you know it, your phone is out of memory, and you are unable to take that one picture that you desperately want to take.
If you are at home, you would simply upload photos to your laptop or desktop to make space for more. But what if you are away from home? You wouldn’t want to erase the pictures in your photo album, would you?
Using the Flickr app, which is free to download on any iOS or Android device, you can easily store photos to your account, enabling you to make room in your phone’s memory so that you may be able to take more pictures. Flickr lets you store up to one terabyte’s worth of pictures, so there’s no need to worry about a lack of storage space.
Here’s how to get started using Flickr as your new mobile photo storage:
1. Download the free app on any iOS or Android device, and then launch the app!
2. Sign in to your Flickr account if you already have one; or, create a new account. You also can sign in with your Yahoo, Google, or Facebook account. Just input the required information to get started.
3. With the Flickr app properly launched, press the middle tab (camera icon), to open the app’s camera feature.
4. Instead of taking a photo, access your phone’s pre-existing photos by pressing the photo album icon on the lower left hand corner of the screen (pictured below).
5. Choose the photo album with the desired pictures, then, select all the photos that you want to store in Flickr. Press “done” on the top right corner when you are finished, and then “next” in the “filters” page to continue.*
6. In the “details” page, you can add information like a “title” and a “description” for each photo, decide if you want the pictures to be “public” or “private,” and add a “venue” or location, for your photos.
7. Unless you have other changes you want to make to your photos or sets, press “upload” on the top right corner to finally store your photos in Flickr.
8. Once your selected photos have been stored in Flickr, exit the app, and then go to your phone’s photo album and find those same pictures. Delete those photos to clear up room in your phone’s memory. Remember that it is important to remember which photos you have uploaded to Flickr so that you may erase those same photos without making the mistake of deleting the ones you have not yet uploaded. *
Additional Tips: • You may choose to edit the photos you have selected with a plethora of tools in the “filters” page. Just swipe left and right to scroll through your photos, select a filter from the options at the bottom of the screen, and then press the “edit” icon to start modifying your pictures. Once you are done editing, or if you chose not to make any changes to your photos at all, press “next” on the top-right corner to move on.
• By pressing the “advanced” menu in the “details” page, you can organize the group of photos that you have chosen and put them together in a “set,” which is basically a folder. Press “set” to enter the sets menu, and then create a new set to store your photos. Don’t forget to create a “title” and “description” for your set so that you may better organize your Flickr photos. You will see your newly created set automatically “checked off” in the sets menu. Press “done” on the top-right corner to finally place your photos in your set.
• You may view your photos and sets in the app’s “photostream” by pressing your Flickr “page” tab in the main menu, marked by the “person” icon. Flickr is handy as it not only allows you to store photos in the app, but you can also view those pictures at anytime, anywhere, unlike uploading photos to a laptop or desktop which you can only access at home.
• Flickr originally started out as a website, so you can access your photos by going to the Flickr site and signing in with the same username and password used for the Flickr app. You’ll have better control over your account in the website, so access your Flickr account on the web if you want a better way to organize your photos.
• It is possible to use the Flickr app as a camera. When you get to step #3 mentioned earlier, just take a photo by pressing the “capture” button (pictured below) instead of accessing your phone’s photo album. Then proceed with the rest of the steps in this tutorial.