Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. San Jose
Mission Statement: This Committee is a Policy committee. Its mission is to develop C.A.R.'s government finance and taxation policy. It has original jurisdiction to evaluate legislation and regulation in the following issue areas as they relate to real estate:
Commercial Investment Government Finance Property Tax Transaction Tax
Presiding: Patricia Bouie-Hinds, Chair Jeff Sposito, Vice-Chair
Issue Chairs: Hal Alpert, Commercial Investment Jeannie Anderson, Transaction Tax Ronna Brand, Property Tax Bill Nelson, Government Finance
Liaisons: Mike Riley, C.A.R. Executive Committee Liaison Dennis Badagliacco, NAR Federal Taxation Committee Representative Jared Martin, NAR Commercial Committee Representative
CAR Staff: Christopher Carlisle, Legislative Advocate Matt Roberts, Federal Government Affairs Manager
I. Welcome and Opening Comments - Patricia Bouie-Hinds, Chair
II. State Taxation Issues
A. Action Items:
1. Property Tax – Ronna Brand, Issue Chair a. Assessment Appeals Boards Are Not Required to Comply with the Brown Act: Should county property tax assessment appeals boards be required to comply with the Brown Act?
2. Transaction Tax – Jeannie Anderson, Issue Chair a. Debt Forgiveness Protections to Expire Next Year: Should the debt forgiveness protections be extended beyond the end of next year?
3. Government Finance – Bill Nelson, Issue Chair a. Mortgage Interest Deduction Threatened Again: Should C.A.R. maintain its opposition to any changes to the MID?
b. Proposition Number Pending, Increases "Rainy Day" Budget Stabilization Fund: What position should C.A.R. take on this ballot proposition?
B. Discussion/Reporting Items:
1. Commercial Investment - Hal Alpert, Issue Chair a. Implementation of AB 758 (Statutes of 2009), Comprehensive Energy Efficiency Program for Existing Residential and Nonresidential Buildings. b. AB 350 (Solorio) Displaced Property Service Employees. c. Other.
2. Government Finance - Bill Nelson, Issue Chair a. AB 184 (Swanson) Seismic Safety Improvements. b. AB 1424 (Perea) License Revocation. c. SB 555 (Hancock) Community Facilities Districts. d. Infrastructure Financing Districts. e. Other.
3. Transaction Tax - Jeannie Anderson, Issue Chair a. AB 392 (Alejo) Brown Act. b. SCA 7 (Yee) Public Meeting Notification. c. Other.
4. Property Tax - Ronna Brand, Issue Chair a. AB 75 (Hill) Solicitation Disclosures. b. Property Tax Deferment. c. Other.
III. Federal Taxation Issues
A. Action Items:
1. Transaction Tax - Jeannie Anderson, Issue Chair a. Seniority of PACE Liens.
1. Commercial Investment - Hal Alpert, Issue Chair a. Lease Accounting Standard. b. Lead Paint Rule Update. c. Other.
2. Transaction Tax - Jeannie Anderson, Issue Chair a. Private Transfer Fee. b. Other.
3. Government Finance - Bill Nelson, Issue Chair a. Debt Ceiling Increase/Proposed Budgets/Debt Reduction Commissions and Real Estate Taxes. b. Other.